Re: Python related changes for unstable/squeeze

Le mercredi 18 février 2009 à 01:20 +0100, Piotr Ożarowski a écrit :
> > where is the advantage of having a /usr/lib/pyshared?
>
> it's one of the "sacrifices" you'll have to make if you want
> /usr/share/py{,3}shared to be used by other tool(s). I see no way to use
> Python's official path in pysupport in its current design.
> Sure, pysupport is not perfect. Using /var/ for bytecompiled stuff is
> probably the worst of it's bugs, but maintainer is aware of this and
> will most probably fix it during the move to
> /usr/{share,lib}/py{,3}shared - and I have a reasons to believe that
> he'll use this path if you decide to use /usr/lib/py{3,}shared (I'll
> convince him, leave it to me ;)

It seems that there is one thing you got wrong here. /usr/lib/pyshared
will be for C extensions and data that varies from a Python version to
another (like /usr/lib/python-support/$package currently). It is not the
place where the symlinks and byte-compiled files will land after running
the script.

For this last thing, I initially thought of
using /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/python-support, but I guess the rtinstall
script of python-central will mess with that directory, so in the end
I’d prefer to find something else. Maybe /usr/lib/pymodules/pythonX.Y ?

> Please also note that pysupport has a nice feature (that IMO should be
> disabled by default, though (I'll file a bug soon), of byte compiling
> modules for officially not supported Python versions (if installed *and*
> maintainer claims it's compatible with that version) - this helps f.e.
> if one installed python2.6 right now (or python2.5 in Etch)

Actually, it’s just that the supported list in python-support is
maintained separately from that of python-defaults. The reason is that
the pyversions script cannot be reliably used from maintainer scripts.
See #396840 for part of the explanation.

--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :