Re: Presentation and some questions/remarks about numpy/scipy packages

Le mercredi 11 février 2009 à 22:48 +0100, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> pygtk requires for some obscure (couldn't
> find code using this) the multiarray extension and depends on it (although an
> exception is thrown at runtime if the extension is not found). while pygtk could
> be better packaged,

Suggestions for improvements are always welcome. However, I must have
lost the bug report where you explained this. Could you point me to it?

> Unfortunately splitting out python subpackages is not that easy:
>
> Having numpy/core/multiarray.so in it's own binary package would require
> packaging python-multiarray with the files:
>
>   numpy/__init__.py
>   numpy/core/__init__.py
>   numpy/core/multiarray.so
>
> with the __init__.py files being empty files. Installing on top of this the
> python-numpy package would require to replace (divert) the __init__.py files
> with the __init__.py files as found in numpy (packaging tools like dpkg and rpm
> don't allow overwriting of files without special care).

Or you can use python-support which will generate empty __init__.py
files if needed, for precisely this kind of use case.

--
 .''`.