Re: Emacs python-mode confusion

Just a quick update -- I've stepped in the shoes of python-mode package
Debian maintainer and uploaded (today) fresh upstream version
(5.1.0). Upstream changes + my fixes addressed 8 open bug reports
against python-mode. So now user's experience should improve
considerably ;-)

Ipython + python-mode + python-ropemacs + pylint + flymake + outline
make emacs very well featured for Python mode development
(completions, documentation lookup, jump to definition, etc). You might
look into my messy .emacs setup [1] or excerpt from it, which I placed
into pymvpa project [2], on how to make such combination work nicely.

There is an ongoing discussion in python-mode mailing list [3]
regarding possible merge of python.el (shipped with GNU emacs) and
python-mode.el (separate project which originated at python.org)

[1] http://git.onerussian.com/?p=etc/emacs.git;a=summary
[2] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-exppsy/pymvpa.git;a=blob;f=doc/misc/emacs;h=42876c90a36ce73c34fc20408bfea44657e8a07a;hb=46624cd2bbc2f864621b7bd48673b44dc22af3e5
[3] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-mode/2009-February/thread.html

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark