Re: numpy 1.2.1, switching to git?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:08:03 +0100 Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 08, 2008, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> P.S. bzed, POX, isn't it time to move our packaging to git? So that I
>> can just commit such patches in a branch and also so that we don't
>> have to mess with the orig.tar.gz, svn-uscan and other things -- i.e.
>> everything will be in one git repo, so users can just download, hit
>> one command and they have a working package (as opposed to the current
>> scheme, were they need to download svn, then setup some tarball
>> directories, then setup svn-uscan, then execute it and only then they
>> can actually build the package, so it's very annoying for casual users
>> to setup the environment to contribute to the packaging)
>
> WARNING bikeshedding VCS discussion spotted!
>
> Executive suggestion: we wont be able to use the same VCS for all
> packages; use whatever the top contributors prefer, not what all
> contributors to all packages prefer.

I'll argue we want something different.  We want VCS that will maximize participation.  That means both keeping top contributors happpy and keeping it accessible to newcomers.

I don't think hg, bzr, or git obviously qualify as accesible.  My vote, fwiw, is to stay with svn until we have a documented, accessible workflow with tool support.

Scott K