Packaging question on private extension modules

Hi debian-python,

I do have a question on Python packaging that was unfortunately not answered
by the available documentation. I guess it is a misunderstanding on my side.

I have a Python application with private extension modules, so the package is
Arch: any. Because there is no way (at least I'm not aware of that) to split
the package because the modules are private, I can't seperate the large part
of the app out to /usr/share/package/ because the extension module parts
under /usr/lib/package/ can't be loaded. Is there a way to do that or is the
recommended way to put everything to /usr/lib/package/ even thought large
parts are arch-indep?

Also, is it OK to build just against the default Python version in Debian or
should all versions be supported? Upstream's build system does not enable to
build against a specific version of Python.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Manuel

P.S.: Please CC me in replies, I'm not subscribed.