Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

Le lundi 19 mai 2008 à 14:39 +0200, Michal Čihař a écrit :
> What surprised me is different handling of XB-Python-Version field. I
> have XS-Python-Version: current and python-central makes
> XB-Python-Version: current from this, what I feel is correct (package
> is pure Python, no dependency on Python version) and package Depends:
> python, what corresponds to this.

If your package is pure python and doesn’t have a dependency on a python
version, you should make it XS-Python-Version: all (or simply remove the
field).

XB-Python-Version: current has no meaning. Either the package is
architecture-independent and it must list all python versions supported
by the modules, or the package is architecture-dependent and it must
list all python versions for which it was built.

As for XS-Python-Version: current, it is, at best, a declaration that
says “This package only supports one version at once.” However I have
noticed it is often different from what the package actually implements.
Such things can be detected automatically at build time, and the fact
that the build system is multi-python or not has no impact on the way
the modules need to be treated.

The fact that the semantics of “current” are broken has been discussed
several times, and it is something that is still not fixed in the Python
policy.

 .''`.