seeking advice for xcb-proto packaging

Hi,

xcb-proto upstream installs a few python files[1], which are then used
at build time by libxcb[2].  Using the upstream build system, these
files get installed to $prefix/lib/python2.5/site-packages/xcbgen, and
that path is set in xcb-proto.pc's pythondir variable.  The libxcb build
then uses that variable to look for xcbgen[3,4].

Now that seems bad to me, because it means the python version gets
hardcoded in the pkgconfig file, and when we switch to python 2.6
c_client.py will still look in the python2.5 dir, and presumably find
the .pyc files there.  Can anyone here suggest a way to fix this, either
by working around it in the packaging or as a patch that I could send
upstream?  python is very much an unknown beast to me, so hopefully
you'll have some ideas :)

Note that none of this is in the debian xcb-proto and libxcb packages
yet, but I'm looking at packaging the next version and this issue is
sort of blocking progress.

Thanks in advance,
Julien

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xcb/proto/tree/xcbgen