matplitlib build problems

Dear Debian Python,

I recently uploaded a backported fix for matplotlib to
t-p-u. Unfortunately, it failed to build on four architectures, and
the errors can be found here:

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?p=matplotlib&suite=testing

Now, they all end with the cc1plus missing problem, i.e.

"gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory"

Now, this shouldn't really happen, since g++ is supposed to be present
during the build, right? Also, note that the g++ package is being
installed on arm and ia64, but not on mips and powerpc.

I'd appreciate it if someone could please help me understand this
problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar
--