Re: Best practice for test(s) directories?

On 14 Jul 2008, at 23:50, Ondrej Certik wrote:

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Kibi!

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 20:13, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm wondering whether there's a preferred place where to drop the
test(s) directory. I don't really know whether to choose
  /usr/share/python-support/$package/test(s)
or
  /usr/share/$package/test(s).

Since it isn't really needed for the module to correctly work, I'd be tempted to keep it out of python-support's paths, and to keep it under
/usr/share/$package instead, but what do you think?

Well, since tests are something not needed for the module to work and
they provide a sort of documentation of the module itself, I usually
install them as examples under /usr/share/doc/$pkg/examples (as
suggested by Piotr and/or Bernd, IIRC). Just my 2 cc :)

Tests can be useful for checking that code that depends on a package still works; ie if package app depends on module foo, then package app might put its tests in /usr/share/tests/app. When foo changes, you can run the tests as a regression check.

This was the idea behind the abortive debian-test project. Some day I may resuscitate it.

The tests shouldn't go in a binary package, but perhaps a debug package if it extsts.
Alastair

Ondrej