Re: Packaging question on private extension modules

On Sat, 31 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

I have a Python application with private extension modules, so the package is
Arch: any. Because there is no way (at least I'm not aware of that) to split
the package because the modules are private, I can't seperate the large part
of the app out to /usr/share/package/ because the extension module parts
under /usr/lib/package/ can't be loaded. Is there a way to do that or is the
recommended way to put everything to /usr/lib/package/ even thought large
parts are arch-indep?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why do you think you can not split the
packages?  If you set Depends correctly this will ensure that the private
modules will be available.  Perhaps giving a link to some Vcs / download
URL which concrete package you are working on might be helpful to understand.

Also, is it OK to build just against the default Python version in Debian or
should all versions be supported? Upstream's build system does not enable to
build against a specific version of Python.

I guess it is sufficient to support default Python version if it seems to
hard to tweak the build system for building against more Python versions.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de