Re: debhelper 7 and python-central

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:47:10PM +0000, Michal Čihař wrote:
> Dne Mon, 19 May 2008 18:38:25 +0200
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> napsal(a):
>
> > Le lundi 19 mai 2008 à 14:39 +0200, Michal Čihař a écrit :
> > > What surprised me is different handling of XB-Python-Version field. I
> > > have XS-Python-Version: current and python-central makes
> > > XB-Python-Version: current from this, what I feel is correct (package
> > > is pure Python, no dependency on Python version) and package Depends:
> > > python, what corresponds to this.
> >
> > If your package is pure python and doesn’t have a dependency on a python
> > version, you should make it XS-Python-Version: all (or simply remove the
> > field).
>
> Well I did this at the end. So now I get XB-Python-Version: 2.4, 2.5.
> But I see no reason why package should not work with 2.6. I'm just a bit
> confused that XB-Python-Version is more strict that generated
> dependencies. I thought these fields should match somehow...

  FWIW python-support doesn't have such restrictions, as it doesn't
hardcodes into the binary it produces the current python versions that
were available at the time of the build (which is by essence volatile
information) it's forward compatible, which pycentral isn't.

  This is _wrong_ to put XB-PV: 2.4, 2.5 for an arch:all package, this
should be XB-PV: all or something similar.

  Such information must be kept only for arch:any packages, where we
must remember for which python versions the binary extensions have been
built. Private or public extensions have the same requirement in that
regard, it's just that private extensions can _only_ be built for
one python version at a time. That was probably for them that "current"
was invented in the first place I think. Though it's useless as the
dh_py* helper can figure that out by himself, and it's exactly what
pysupport does. Pycentral OTOH requires a declarative list from the
maintainer in XS-P-V, _AND_ the maintainer to build what he claimed to
have built, which may differ, which is brittle. pysupport just looks at
what has been built and computes things from that only, which is way
more robust, because information exists in a single place.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit