Re: Bugs that'll block python 2.5

* Josselin Mouette [Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:28:00 +0200]:

> On lun, 2008-04-14 at 22:57 +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > Finally, and quite importantly, there is what to do with modules that
> > have been added to the standard library in 2.5 (ctypes, celementtree,
> > wgsiref). These use either pycentral or pysupport, and since they mark
> > themselves as for python << 2.5 only, the dependency generated is on
> > python (<< 2.5), rendering them uninstallable.

> The solution is really simple, just add them to python’s Provides: list.

Plus, uhm, can't really be done for (c)elementtree, since python 2.5
provides the modules under a different name/namespace.

Which leads to the interesting question of whether some program is going
to break by this (the dependency will be satisfied, but the modules
won't be available under the names where the program *may* be expecting
them).

python-pysqlite2, on the other hand/for example, still provides the
modules for python 2.5 under the old name. elementtree could do this,
or else the packages should be somehow checked, I guess?

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                                  Listening to: Carlos Berlanga - Sueños