Re: handling /usr/local/lib/python2.x/site-packages in sys.path

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> On Mar 11, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> > The sysadmin should never install things into /usr/ directly,
> > /usr/local/ is their playground.
>
> This is Debian policy (which is fine), but I don't think all distros
> agree.

Those distros that claim to adhere to the FHS agree.

    /usr is shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr should be
    shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be
    written to. Any information that is host-specific or varies with
    time is stored elsewhere.

    <URL:http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEUSRHIERARCHY>

    The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator
    when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being
    overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used
    for programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts,
    but not found in /usr.

    <URL:http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY>

--
 \           “The cost of education is trivial compared to the cost of |
  `\                                     ignorance.” —Thomas Jefferson |