Re: python packaging questions

Le mercredi 16 janvier 2008 à 00:31 +0100, Eike Nicklas a écrit :
> * Which value should the XS-Python-Version field have to ensure easy
>   transitions of future Python versions? I tried using 'all', but then
>   my (binary) package depended for example on python2.3-gtk2,
>   python2.4-gtk2 and python2.5-gtk2. Does that mean that all those
>   packages will be installed or are those only virtual packages to ease
>   future transitions?

These are virtual packages, and they are brought in by the
Python-Depends field. (Altough if python2.3-gtk2 appears, there must be
an issue somewhere.)

> * In debian/control: The python-support docs recommend using
>   'Depends: ${python:Depends}' and then specifying the dependencies on
>   other python modules in 'Python-Depends'. Should this method also be
>   used with python-central or should then all the dependencies be
>   specified in 'Depends'?

If your package is an application and not a module, you don’t really
need Python-Depends. I should clarify the docs about that. (In fact you
need them only if you use Provides: ${python:Provides}.)

--
 .''`.