Re: python-soappy, fpconst, and a new package.

CC'ed Ed Boras, Maintainer of python-soappy in debian, and Russ Allbery,
the last NMUer of the package. Also CC'ed the debian-python mailing list
for deeper insight about packaging python modules.

Luke Yelavich <themuso@themuso.com> writes:
> Hi all
> I am looking into packaging jack_mixer, requested by the upstream
> developer on IRC. One of its dependancies is the fpconst module.
>
> As it happens, fpconst can be found in the python-soappy package, which
> ahs nothing at all to do with jack_mixer, which is an audio application.
>
> I am wondering where we go from here. Do we separate out fpconst as a
> separate package, and have python-soappy depend on that, or should I
> place a copy of fpconst in with the new jack_mixer package?
>
> Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Looking at bugs like
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=379113, I'd say it
makes much sense to have a separate python-fpconst package. I wonder if
it makes sense to make the python-soappy package provide the extra
binary package, or if it should go out of python-soappy and create a
new source package.

Ed, Russ, can we hear your opinion on this?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4