RFP: python-py-bcrypt -- implementation of OpenBSD's Blowfish password hash algorithm

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

* Package name    : python-py-bcrypt
  Version         : 0.1
  Upstream Author : Damien Miller <djm@mindrot.org>
* URL             : http://www.mindrot.org/projects/py-bcrypt/
* License         : ISC/BSD (advertising clause--see below)
  Programming Lang: C, Python
  Description     : implementation of OpenBSD's Blowfish password hash algorithm

py-bcrypt is a Python module implementating the OpenBSD Blowfish
password hashing algorithm, as described in "A Future-Adaptable Password
Scheme" by Niels Provos and David Mazieres:
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/bcrypt-paper.ps

This system hashes passwords using a version of Bruce Schneier's
Blowfish block cipher with modifications designed to raise the cost of
off-line password cracking. The computation cost of the algorithm is
parametised, so it can be increased as computers get faster.

I have Cc'd the debian-python list on this, since it's a pretty
straightforward Python (>=2.4) module with a standard distutils setup.py
included. If there's no interest, I'll retitle it to an ITP in a week or
two, but this seemed like a good first step since I've not packaged a
public Python module previously.

The LICENSE file quotes a four-clause BSD (advertising) license for code
taken from OpenBSD circa 1997, which could be easily changed to a modern
BSD license, though the py-bcrypt author should probably be asked to do
this upstream.