Re: new python-numpy package

On Dec 3, 2007 2:10 AM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> > So what to do now?
>
> After discussing this with William Grant (a comaintainer of
> python-scipy and python-numpy in ubuntu) I tend to like to put f2py
> inside the python-numpy package and don't create a special python-f2py
> binary. That way we don't have to deal with versions conflicts.
>
> But the old python-f2py package should be removed from Debian.

I asked upstream, see here and the followups:

http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-December/030160.html

I explained the current situation here:

http://wiki.debian.org/python-numpy

linked from

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam

Basically, the python-f2py is needed, because that's the f2py
compatible with Numeric and we do want to spupport Numeric in Debian,
some people still use it.

So for now we will ship f2py in the python-numpy package. That way I
can easily upload it and I and Kumar will now concentrate on fixing
all the bugs preventing python-numpy to get to testing etc. When
everything is fixed and polished, we'll try to do something about f2py
again, for example by using alternatives, as ScottK suggested.

Ondrej