Re: Report on the situation of python2.5 in Debian

Hi,

> Now, for the bad news. The following packages have various kinds of
> issues that prevent them from working with python2.5. Some of them are
> trivial, some are much more tricky. In all cases, we need to focus on
> these bugs if we want to see those packages in lenny:

You have missed Zope.
It is not possible to run Zope 2.X with Python 2.5 yet, same for Zope 3.
The problems in there are nothing a maintainer could fix, except
somebody is willing to pay several days (weeks!?) of work.
Changing the default python version also means to go trough all Zope
packages and replace /usr/bin/python by /usr/bin/python2.4.

> The following packages do not support multiple versions of python at
> once. This is where we have the most serious regression compared to the
> situation of the python2.4 transition. It is understandable not to
> rebuild the gimp or OpenOffice.org packages for several python versions,
> but many of these packages are using distutils and are therefore
> *trivial* to get to work with several versions.

Does the list include those packages which are not conform to the new
Python policy? There're still several of them out there. A zero-day NMU
policy would be good to have here, too.
http://bugs.debian.org/from:madcoder-python-transition@debian.org;pend-exc=done;exclude=fixed

> Please note that they can all be binNMUed after python2.5 has become the
> default, but all of them will have to migrate to testing at once. We
> must make this list shorter unless we want this transition to recall bad
> memories to the release team.

>         mod-wsgi

It's not possible to use more than one python version with mod-wsgi,
therefore it will only work and be build against the default python
version. A binNMU after changing the version should work well.

Cheers,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz