Re: unicode in setup.py file causing RC bug

On Monday 07 May 2007 20:43, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I maintain the package rpl, which today received an RC bug

> because it FTBFS in an autobuild on Lucas.
>
> The reason it failed is due to the use of unicode for the author's
> name in the setup.py file.
>
> distutils (for the setup.py file) is part of python
> which is part of the python module distutils.
>
> I see two options for fixing this:
>
>     1. Remove the unicode from the author's name and spell it using
>     ascii.
>
>     or
>
>     2. Reassign the bug to the main python package.
>
> I'm not much in favor of #1 because we should be able to get
> names correct.
>
> I favor #2 as it does seem to be a bug in python. I found the
> following regarding the bug:
>
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/distutils-sig@python.org/msg03007.html
>
> So just looking for a little guidance in case I missed something
> before I proceed.

Or 3.  Patch setup.py to expect it.  I believe if you add:

# -*- encoding: utf-8 -*-

to the file before the unicode characters are encountered the first time, that
should solve your problem.  I didn't look at your package, but that worked
for me before for a similar issue.

Scott K