Re: Upstream Makefile, debian/rules, eggs, building and installing

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Ben Finney wrote:
> How should the Debian packaging files interact with this? Examples
> I've seen for using python-central have the egg being built in the
> Debian-specific debian/rules targets, but this is clearly duplication
> if the upstream Makefile already builds an egg.

Please be specific... tell us which examples you are referring to. We
can't discuss in general when you might refer to an exception and when you
might have misunderstood what you've read.

> In normal (non-Debian) usage of Setuptools, a user will generate an
> egg that is specific to a Python version, and install that; this isn't
> what's needed by python-central, though. But surely the answer isn't
> essentially duplication of the build-an-egg step between the upstream
> Makefile and debian/rules ?

We're using a feature of setuptools to provide eggs as unpacked directory
trees instead of a single archive. This doesn't duplicate anything and it
doesn't mean that we build eggs manually.

Raphaël Hertzog