Re: dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:07:56PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm attempting to package a Python package according to the
> python-central instructions
> <URL:http://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/python-central_howto.txt>. When
> building the package, I get the following output:
>
> =====
> [...]
> dh_pycentral
> dh_link
> dh_strip
> dh_compress
> dh_fixperms
> dh_installdeb
> dh_shlibdeps
> dh_gencontrol
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${python:Depends}
> dh_md5sums
> dh_builddeb
> =====
>
> This is referring to the debian/control Depends field:
>
>     Depends: ${python:Depends}
>
> Earlier, I had
>
>     Depends: ${python:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
>
> and 'dpkg-gencontrol' complained about every one of those.
>
> Searching for information about this, I've seen references to
> 'packagename.substvars' that should be created during package
> building. What is it that should be creating these? A missing 'dh_foo'
> command?

  you should use dh_pythonsupport (from python-support). (or
dh_pycentral from python-central). python-support comes with a very
friendly documentation in /usr/share/doc/python-support/README.Debian to
help you through python packaging.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit