Testing other python versions

I'm a little new to Debian's python, so I apologize if this is a simple matter.

With the new python policy and python-support package, I'm trying to
remove any unnecessary versioned dependencies on python (for builing
or installation). I've read through the new policy and the information
on the wiki, as well as Manoj Srivastava's excellent tips for
packagers, but I am still confused about a few things.

I'm no longer specifying versions for python, which I think means I
need to support all the versions of python that Debian does (currently
2.4 and 2.3). This also means I need to prepare to support 2.5 when it
is introduced.

How do I test building under these different versions? Is it just a
matter of temporarily changing the /usr/bin/python link to point to a
different version, or is there a better way?

For installation, I don't think this is an issue, as python-support
will bytecompile for all supported versions, but what about testing
installation under an unsupported version (like 2.5 is now)?

Thanks for the help,
Cameron Dale