Re: debian/pycompat usage?

Le lun 28 août 2006 12:27, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> Le lundi 28 août 2006 à 09:12 +0200, Pierre Habouzit a écrit :
> > While working on the tool I promised I'll work on, I indeed agree
> > that the debian/pyversions beeing hidden is a major PITA.
>
> I'm afraid that looking for this information in debian/pyversions is
> not going to give any better results than looking in the control
> fields.
>
> As you already explained, the Depends: line already contains most of
> the information. Another thing to look is for .so files corresponding
> to several python versions in /usr/lib/python-support/*/python2.? or
> /usr/lib/python2.?/site-packages.

like said, there is one information that is not in the Build-Depends,
and that XS-P-V and pyversion provides, that is if the next transition
move is supported by that package, if :
 * a new python runtime is added ;
 * the default python changes.

for that default going from 2.3 -> 2.4 steve had to know wether packages
that needed binNMU (because Depending upon python (<< 2.4) e.g.) did
supported python 2.4. For that, you need XS-P-V or debian/pyversions.

that does not ensure that the package is binNMUable of course, but
that's almost a python policy violation and is RC, so we can assume it
won't happen, or that we want to spot it anyway.

Here, the fact that the packager depend on python-all-dev is not
sufficient.

The same apply if you add a new python runtime, you want to binNMU
packages that supports it, and not the ones that does not.

all the rest is way better found in the Depends rather than in other
custom fields, we do agree here.

> > So my proposal is to make XS-P-V mandatory when there is an upper
> > bound.
>
> Beware of one thing: having both XS-P-V and pyversions is the worst
> case we can have, as the maintainer has to ensure they contain the
> same information.

in that case we must only have XS-P-V obviously !
I think dh_pysupport already barf in that case IIRC, if it does not it
should.

Note that like said, the number of packages with a valid upper bound is
very small (something like 10 packages over the 745 that build-depend
on any python in unstable/main).

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit