Re: debian/pycompat usage?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 10:26:54PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 août 2006 à 13:09 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > I object to basing future work exclusively on dh_pysupport as long as it
> > implements your unilateral decision to abandon the XB-Python-Version field
> > and deprecate the XS-Python-Version

> This decision was not unilateral, sorry.

It was a decision, made by you as python-support maintainer, in direct
contradiction to what Matthias and I had discussed before DebConf and the
conclusions of the DebConf python BoF, without any consideration given to
the original goal of these fields.  That's unilateral.

> As long as these fields don't even have clear semantics, implementing
> them is, at best, useless.

So, why has there been no discussion about the problems with the semantics
and how they might be *fixed*?

> > without offering any alternative
> > suitable for mass-detection of binNMU candidates.

> What if I provide you with a script that does the same without the
> fields?

So I get to unpack a couple hundred source packages on ftp-master/bugs.d.o
for each transition in order to inspect debian/pyversions in each one (and
who knows what else at this point) to identify the packages that are
binNMUable, instead of being able to get the same information out of
Packages+Sources?  I don't find this plan particularly impressive.