Re: Future of dh_python

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:00:45AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 août 2006 à 16:21 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > As I can understand him, we really should respect his wish. If Matthias agrees,
> > I can extract the "dependency" generation code from dh_python and create
> > a little perl library that would be included in the python package
> > (or python-dev) and that would be used by dh_pysupport and dh_pycentral.
> > I can also prepare patches for dh_pysupport/dh_pycentral.
>
> The changes needed in dh_pysupport are trivial. As of version 0.4, it
> handles dependencies in more cases than dh_python, and does it only if
> debian/pycompat isn't found. The only thing to do is to remove this
> check.
>
> I also heard that python-central has some code for dependency
> generation. Depending on how advanced it is, this library won't be
> needed at all.

Hrm, I can't help but think that one common code base for dependency
generation is better (if it can be agreed upon).  It means more
consistency over time when things get changed and also has the obvious
benefit of being tested better, not all bugs will be duplicated etc.

I know these arguments could be used for pysupport/pycentral too, but
at least the dependencies that need to be generated are agreed on
(afaik) so why not keep it together in a little library?

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom