Re: Python Policy suggests dependencies that prevent installation

        Hi,

 (I've opened a bug report against the Python Policy now, please Cc:
 379455@.)

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Are we talking about the case in which /usr/bin/python is still << 2.4, or
> are we talking about what such packages should do Coming Soon?

 The policy paragraph I want to fix is about packages which need a
 particular Python runtime, for example packages needing 2.4 right now,
 but it also applies to packages which will need a particular runtime in
 the future, such as needing 2.3 when 2.4 is the default, or needing
 2.5.

 The problem does not affect all these packages, since the problem I
 care about happens when a real pythonXX-foo package is installed on
 end-user machines, but doesn't exist in the archive anymore.  The
 new python-foo package providing pythonXX-foo won't be installed if
 apps only depend on the installed pythonXX-foo packages, but only if
 one app depend on python-foo, or a pythonYY-foo which is not installed
 but is provided by python-foo.

> For the former, no, it's not the business of end-user packages in general to
> attempt to force obsolete versions of dependencies off the system when
> they're functionally compatible.

 I consider this breaks expectations and is dangerous.  One of the
 expectations it breaks is that an update doesn't let you have the
 latest versions of software.  Another one is that after an update, you
 keep packages installed that have no corresponding source in the
 archive anymore (but no removal at the ftpmasters level happened).
 Another one is that I expect people upgrading from etch to etch+1 to
 have software in versions of etch, not in versions prior to the release
 of etch, but this problem creates a situation where one might upgrade
 from pythonXX-foo before etch to python-foo etch+1.  etc.

 Given that we recommend the double depend in cases where a particular
 version is needed, it seems quite reasonable to recommend it in all
 cases instead.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>