Re: [HELP] new policy with a compiled python program and generic python plugin module

Le vendredi 30 juin 2006 à 21:03 +0200, Vincent Danjean a écrit :
>   I'm converting one of my package (commit-tool) to the new policy.
> I was thinking it will be easy, but I found several difficulties.
> I'm able to deal with them so that I will be conformed to the new
> policy, but I would like to do the Right Things.
>
>   Here is the situation.
>   My package has mainly one program "gct". This is a compiled python
> script (ie it begins with #!/usr/bin/python but it has binary blobs few
> lines latter).
>   It is built from the upstream source (several python source
> files) with the help of an upstream program builder (a python script
> called buildMain.py).
>
>   It seems that "gct" can be built with any version of python
> (python2.3, python2.4, ...), but it must run with the same version
> it has been built.

I think you should patch the package so that the binary blob is put in
a .py module that you can import. Then, you can build this .py once for
each python version, install it in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages,
after which it can be handled by python-support. (It will detect that
they are different for the different python versions and put them in
separate directories.)