Re: Updated python-support

Le lundi 19 juin 2006 à 12:09 +0200, Andreas Barth a écrit :
> * Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org) [060618 11:13]:
> >       * Automatic dependency generation in dh_pysupport, removing the
> >         need to run dh_python.
>
> You mean, this change breaks compatibility with the previous versions of
> python-support? I strongly recommend to not make such a change.

Binary-package compatibility is not broken. Source-package compatibility
can be broken in some cases, and I'm working with Raphaël Hertzog and
Marc Dequènes to fix it.

> Eh, I'm sure you can explain where somebody messed up with dpkg's
> database? What you can see is "only" that some programs postinst failed
> to run successfully. You can get the same results with just calling
> /bin/false inside of postinst.

Calling /bin/false doesn't entirely break the system.

> WTF? We discussed that in Mexico, we agreed on that in Mexico, and now
> you tell us that you just decided by yourself you don't want to follow
> the new policy any more? Is there any serious reason for it, or do you
> just feel like it?

I told you in Mexico the XS-Python-Version field was not a good idea,
but made this concession so that we could agree. However concessions are
only good when made on both sides.

> This is not enough, as we need to be able to extract information from
> the control file. This is also important for the release team and QA
> team's tools. You basically need to use the new python policy.

If it is really useful, we can keep it in the packages. You should note
that python-support *will* work with the control field. I have added an
extra compatibility layer to parse it and convert it to a ".version"
file.

> > (No, this specific point doesn't conform to the new python policy, but
> > this policy is only a draft and I don't see a reason to stick to it
> > while it hasn't been widely implemented, especially when there are
> > better solutions.)
>
> The policy is valid enough. You must not violate it in such an way, and
> "that there are better solutions" is just your claim at the moment.

This policy is poorly designed. Why do you think it can't be improved?
Anyway, we can follow it for the moment and improve it later, but your
reaction - especially the second mail with your stupid threats - doesn't
make me want to work with you.

> Please stop throwing shit on Matthias. Uploads of a package with a
> really silly mistake happen. Nobody wants them, nobody enjoys them, but
> they still happen.

Packaging mistakes usually don't entirely break the user's system. This
is what happens when there's a bug in python-central, and this will
happen again. This turns "serious" bugs into "critical" ones.

> And Matthias really puts lots of efforts into
> Debian's python packages, and, I can say this, does it better than you
> do.

Matthias has put lots of efforts... after slowing down the development
for months. While some efforts lead to very good improvements (like
the .rtinstall files or the pyversions script), some only lead to a
fragile packaging system that I cannot decently use nor recommend for
python packages (python-central).