Re: Deprecating /usr/lib/site-python in python policy

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 02:35:05PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as part of the new policy we should also deprecate /usr/lib/site-python.

I'll have to reread the new policy, but I think this is not a very good
idea. /usr/lib/site-python exists for modules which do not care about
which version of the python interpreter is used and is therefore very
useful.

> Since this directory is in sys.path of all python versions, if we
> byte-compile those in-place for the current version, then the modules
> won't work with other python versions.

This just not true. Python is smart enough not to use the .pyc if the
version used to produce it is not the one which is used. The problem
only exists for python extensions, but pure python modules have no
problem with this.