Re: python-central vs python-support

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:24:19AM +0200, Marc Dequènes wrote:
> >> 3) The tight upper bound on module dependencies will be removed,
> >> provided the module actually works on future versions of Python. The
> >> upper bound on extension dependencies will not, because then they
> >> wouldn't work.

> I don't see any reason to keep this boundary, really, as you plan to use
> binNMUs on transitions. Either the extension does not work on a newly
> uploaded python version after being binNMU-ed, then this is a bug (not
> grave), or you use a boundary for an extension which would have worked
> perfectly and this is a bug too.

No.  An extension has to be separately *compiled* for each python version
it's to support.  A python-foo package containing
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/foo/foo.so and
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/foo/foo.so must not claim to be compatible
with python (>= 2.5).

However, it *should* be possible to provide a toolchain such that this
python-foo can be binNMUed when python-2.5 becomes available and
automatically pick up support for it.