Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:52:09AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:40:55AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I asked this question earlier, and no one answered.  Are there .config
> > scripts being written in python today in Ubuntu?  (Hmm, where are the python
> > bindings for debconf, and what ensures that they're installed?)

> No, not yet.  The promotion to Essential needed to happen prior to writing
> any such scripts.

Well, technically a .config script that fails because /usr/bin/python
doesn't exist would get a second chance when the postinst runs, just like
any other config script failure... so you could get away with this just
using a Depends:, you just lose pre-configuration support ;)

> The python bindings for debconf are, of all places, in the 'debconf'
> package.

Hurray! :)