Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

Joe Wreschnig writes:
> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 12:12 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I don't know what's actually in (or more importantly not in)
> > python2.4-minimal though.
>
> I'm eyeballing right now. Things that jump out at me:
>  * No character encoding, translation, or locale handling.
>  * A little oddly, loss of shutil.
>  * No sockets.
>
> The first one seems like it would be a show-stopper to me, unless we
> expect programs in the base system to only deal with ASCII. This is a
> fairly large addition to package, too.
>
> The second can easily be fixed; possibly just oversight. It's a small
> module and gives Python equivalents of cp -r, rm -r, and mv.
>
> The third seems like something software in base may want to do; I
> mention it specifically because perl-base include socket support.

Colin already mentioned that the socket modules are in -minimal.
shutil looks reasonable.  encodings and locale handling come with a
prize: a size of about 3MB, which would more than double the size of
-minimal (2.4 ships with the cjk codecs).

  Matthias