Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:16:55AM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> > The difference between "installed" ("was installed initially") and
> > "installed" ("is installed now").  The compromise we struck with upstream
> > was that we would not give the user a system with a "broken" Python.  If
> > they create one on their own, that's their business (and they could strip it
> > down themselves anyway).
> Just to clarify, because I'm also confused and genuinely curious... you
> guys use the minimal package during bootstrapping or something and then by
> the end of the installation process you will necessarily have the full
> python somehow. Is this correct?

No, they install the full system by default (ie, python and python-minimal
both get installed by debootstrap as part of base), but allow it to be
stripped down to python-minimal later if the user wants to.

In warty there was no python-minimal, and python2.3 was installed along
with apt (pri: important), in hoary python-minimal was essential, and
installed with dpkg (pri: required) and python was installed with apt;
in breezy it's the same as hoary, with the exception that buildds only
get python-minimal; dapper is the same as breezy.

Cheers,
aj