Re: python packaging infrastructure

Le vendredi 13 janvier 2006 à 00:33 -0600, Joe Wreschnig a écrit :
> >  - Some concerns were raised by the release team, that python-support
> >  tracks it's own state instead of using the dpkg database. To keep
> >  track of usable python versions, python-central uses a field
> >  Python-Version in the control file (having values like "2.3, 2.4",
> >  "all", ">= 2.3")
>
> Is there some reason python-support couldn't be extended to also do
> this? I agree it is a better solution than a separate database.

I intend to make python-support use a .pyvers file listing the supported
versions. This file would be generated by dh_python, when using
dh_python -m 2.2 (for just a minimal version) or copied from
debian/$package.pyvers.

Having a new field in the control file diverges from how debhelper
programs usually behave, so I'd like to avoid such a solution - and I
don't think there's a need for it.

The code is mostly written, but the dh_python integration isn't. I'd
also like to remove the "installed" database, I've discussed ways to
work without this one with the RMs.

Regards,