Re: upgrade path for python packages

Le mercredi 11 janvier 2006 à 18:00 +0100, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
> Suppose upstream (pure) python lib foobar is currently packages as:
>
>  python-foobar (dummy package depending on python2.3-foobar)
>  python2.3-foobar (installs modules in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages)
>  python2.4-foobar (installs modules in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages)
>
> And we want to migrate to a single package called python-foobar, which
> installs python module in /usr/lib/site-python/

It is simpler to use python-support to do this. Just make a single
python-foobar with the modules for the default python version. dh_python
will move them to /usr/share/python-support, and they will be made
available for all installed python versions.

> How do we ensure that packages depending on python2.X-foobar won't break
> when the new package is installed?

You have two options here:
     1. Make the package depend on python2.3, python2.4 and provide
        python2.3-foobar, python2.4-foobar.
     2. Modify the packages using it to depend on python-foobar (if they
        are using /usr/bin/python) or python2.3, python-foobar (if they
        are using /usr/bin/python2.3).
Option 1 ties up the package to specific python versions. My preference
goes to option 2, as it doesn't break upgrades, it's just a matter of
rebuilding the packages using the module.

Regards,