Re: python-numeric: Fails to build 2.3 version

On Thursday 30 November 2006 15:35 pm, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> > > This is the normal behaviour of the package since in sid python2.3 is
> > > no more marked as supported in /usr/share/python/debian_defaults ...
> >
> > It seems to me that it's a bad idea to make this change in sid while the
> > old python packages are frozen in etch.  The result will be: if anybody
> > uploads updated versions of their python packages, they will get
> > autobuilt against the sid packages and thus have no 2.3 contact, which is
> > out of sync with what would happen with people wanting to hand-build
> > their packages locally using etch.
>
> And how is this a problem ? It's not technical problem... it's at most a
> problem of consistency in the packages built, some will provide support
> for 2.3 and 2.4 while other will only support 2.4.

What if a new upload has reverse deps which still have a 2.3 version, which
then becomes unusable?  And anyway, reproducibility of package builds is
important, while the current situation results in significantly different
packages depending on whether sid or etch is used to build, and furthermore
depending on when exactly the buildd's last built the arch-dependent
packages.

> Matthias's goal has always been to get rid of python2.3 completely. It's
> likely doable. And I discussed on #debian-release their move to etch, it
> will likely happen soon (after my recent NMUs which fixed some issues
> related to that change).

OK, it's good to know the release team already knew about this.  The main
reason for my mail was to make sure they did know about it, and as I said I
had found no evidence to indicate that was the case.
--
Daniel Schepler