packaging TurboGears applications

Hello,

I'm toying with packaging the WhatWhat Status[0], a simple but cool
TurboGears[1] application, mainly to figure out some best practice and
understand what problems we'll need to solve.

I'd like to have some people, mainly those doing real work with
TurboGears, review the package I have up to now:

	http://people.debian.org/~kov/stuff/

I have minimally patched whatwhat to read config files from two
places:

 0. /var/cache/turbogears/whatwhat/prod.cfg
 1. /etc/turbogears/whatwhat/prod.cfg

In that order. The 0 file is created automatically by the package using
the debconf answers; the second one is for admin customization of the
options.

Right now the package uses dbconfig-common to setup the database, and
writes the configuration information to the /var/ hosted file. It will
hardcode localhost as the host for now, though; I'm working around a
dbconfig-common problem which I'll report or figure is my fault: I'd
like to make it use the postgres user using ident on socket and set the
application to use tcp/ip and password for its own needs.

Another problem is how to assign a port for the application.
Right now it has no configuration directive automatically added, which
makes it try the default port: 8080. I have not done anything on this
front yet. I provide a simple initscript which starts whatwhat's
builtin server.

I don't know if testing for open ports on postinst and filling the
best candidate to the /var/ hosted file is a nice idea, and if it would
be possible to use a single paste-based application to mount all of the
installed turbogears applications, and let the administrator do whatever
"production" setup she sees fit.

The package does have problems, and I'll be working on them. I'd like
to have input on these practical questions, so I can think of writing a
small policy and go forward to thinking about 'how to integrate TG
extensions and widgets' in Debian packaging, as well =). Ah, you will
need the experimental python-sqlobject package.

See you,

[0]: http://cleverdevil.org/whatwhat
[1]: http://www.turbogears.org/; TG 1.0b1 is in Etch, using the
SQLAlchemy backend as default, since the SQLObject version it requires
is not released, thus not suitable for unstable as of yet. But it's
there. Yay!

--
  Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
http://www.debian.org/ | http://kov.eti.br/