Re: Who is supposed to remove the .pyc files? (see #386211)

Le 07.09.2006, à 16:55:59, Pierre Habouzit a écrit:
> # sorry pal, but such a bug renders the package completely unusable, and
> # is also a policy violation.

Why is the package completely unusable? I just see a complain by dpkg
that /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PyPlucker/ is not empty.

I agree with the policy violation. Note that I adopted the package
recently and the problem was already there.

> severity 386211 grave
> thanks
>
> Le jeu 7 septembre 2006 14:20, Ludovic Rousseau a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I received bug report #386211:
> >   Package: plucker
> >   Version: 1.8-16+b1
> >   Severity: normal
> >
> >   Upon update to this version the byte-compiled files in
> >    /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PyPlucker/
> >   were left behind.
> >
> > 1.8-16+b1 is generated for Python 2.4 so the installed files are now
> > in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PyPlucker/ and
> > /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PyPlucker/ should be empty (and
> > deleted).
> >
> > My problem is that the package does not provide the .pyc files. These
> > files are generated when executing the Python script as _root_.
> > Executing the Python scripts as a normal user does not create the
> > .pyc (permission denied, of course).
> >
> > How am I supposed to manage this?
>
> you were supposed to remove them in the postrm of you package, as per
> policy (the old one).
>
> so now, you are just "fucked", you have to :
>  1. rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/PyPlucker/ in the preinst of
>     your package.

OK.

The plucker package is not available in Debian stable. I imagine it had
a RC bug when sarge was released since the first package version is
dated Dec 2000.

So only people using unstable or testing _and_ running the scripts as
root will suffer from this bug. How long should I keep the "rm" in
preinst? Until etch is released?

Or can I just close the bug without adding anything in preinst since
packages in unstable/testing _may_ have bugs.

>  2. and then make it comply with the new policy, using dh_pysupport or
>     dh_pycentral that will take care of the byte-compilation of your
>     package, and the transitions also.
>
>     wich seems to be already done.

Yes. I try to do my best.

Regards,

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau@free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le camembert, L.R. --