python MySQLdb no longer works

I update to 'testing' daily. Suddenly I can no longer connect to mysql
using python. This is the error traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 75, in Connect
    return Connection(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 207, in __init__
    self.autocommit(False)
_mysql_exceptions.ProgrammingError: (2014, "Commands out of sync; you can't run this command now")

What happened? How can I fix it?

--
"Government is in the last resort the employment of armed men, of
 policemen, gendarmes, soldiers, prison guards, and hangmen. The