Re: dh_python and python policy analysis

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:35:56 +0200, Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> said:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> 2.1. [5]XS-Python-Version: 2.2. [6]XB-Python-Version:

>  Your document keeps mentionning these, even as "requirements", but
>  XB- isn't required for packages using python-support, and XS can be
>  replaced by debian/pyversions.

        I guess I do not understand enough about python-support, in
 that case. I was basing it off section 2.3 of the draft policy[1],
 which has inclusions of XB-Python-Version as a should directive.

        Could you point me to documentation on python-support, what it
 does, how to use it, and how it differs from python-central?

>  Is your document targetted at inclusion in the dev-ref?

        Targeted for dev-ref, no.  If python policy is ever going to
 be made into official Debian technical policy, then some kind of
 detailed specification

>  PS: I really don't see the point in cross-posting to debian-devel@,
>  please either post to one or the other, thanks.

        I think that this is of general enough interest to involve
 -devel; but I do not want to miss out Python folks who have given up
 on -devel, and this is of interest to Python packaging. So, in my
 opinion, cross posting for this is jusified as long as the discussion
 stays on topic.

        manoj
[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html
--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."