Re: Python Policy suggests dependencies that prevent installation

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 07:08:52PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:

>  Python Policy 3.2 states:

>  3.2 Programs Using a Particular Python Version

>  """A program which requires a specific version of Python must begin with
>  #!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y (or #!/usr/bin/env pythonX.Y). It must also
>  specify a dependency on pythonX.Y and on any pythonX.Y-foo package
>  providing necessary modules. It should not depend on any python-foo
>  package, unless it requires a specific version of the package (since
>  virtual packages cannot be versioned). If this is the case, it should
>  depend on both the virtual package and the main package (e.g. Depends:
>  python2.4-foo, python-foo (>= 1.0))."""

>  Consider gnome-osd which depended on python2.4-pyorbit-omg before
>  pyorbit was transitioned.  Now pyorbit only ships python-pyorbit-omg
>  which Provides python2.4-pyorbit-omg, but users with gnome-osd
>  installed -- and hence python2.4-pyorbit-omg as a real package
>  installed -- won't get python-pyorbit-omg.

>  Shouldn't such packages Depend on "python-pyorbit-omg,
>  python2.4-pyorbit-omg", even if they don't need a particular version of
>  python-pyorbit-omg (contrarily to what 3.2 §2 requests)?

Are we talking about the case in which /usr/bin/python is still << 2.4, or
are we talking about what such packages should do Coming Soon?

For the latter, they should obviously be fixed to not use /usr/bin/pythonX.Y
at all.

For the former, no, it's not the business of end-user packages in general to
attempt to force obsolete versions of dependencies off the system when
they're functionally compatible.