Re: [Announce] stdeb - Python to Debian source package conversion utility

Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:16:14AM -0700, Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> stdeb - Python to Debian source package conversion utility
>> [ description skipped ]
>>

> How stdeb differs from easy-deb (http://easy-deb.sourceforge.net/)?

Hi Misha,

1) license  - stdeb is MIT, easy-deb is GPL (if I remember correctly)
2) I couldn't get easy-deb to work (easily)
3) stdeb is being actively developed/maintained (last commit yesterday).
AFAICT, last commit in easy-deb was 10 months ago.

I don't know about the feature list, since, as I said, I couldn't get
easy-deb to work. You might want to have a look at the features I've
added since the last release. I'm debugging a few details and will make
a new release soon. Here's the changelog so far since the last release:

2006-07-19 Get .egg-info directory locations from setuptools rather
           than guessing (wrongly).

2006-07-09 Ability to specify MIME-Desktop-Files, MIME-File, and
	   Shared-MIME-File in configuration file.

2006-07-09 Use of dh_python for generation of postinst and prerm
	   scripts.

2006-07-05 Auto-generation of debian/postinst and debian/prerm scripts
           that create and remove .pyc and .pyo files.

2006-06-21 Upstream .tar.gz files can be used exactly, allowing
	   md5sums to match.

2006-06-21 Expanded source directory is only deleted when commandline
	   option is set.

Anyhow, I'm using stdeb extensively for my own packages and it's meeting
my needs pretty well. I hope others find it useful, too.

Cheers!
Andrew