Re: News from the python policy transition

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> We also have many python applications (or badly packaged modules which
> have not been caught by the first mass-bug filing) that have a dependency
> "python (<< 2.4)" and that needs to be updated as well. Please find the
> list below (~150 packages). The maintainers concerned have to follow the
> same instructions than the maintainers of modules/extensions:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy

Of course, it has been ported to my attention that packages already
converted to the new policy but who are only supporting the current
versions (like apps with private extensions) still have this
dependency... and it's _normal_.

So there are false positives in the list.

It's also true that packages with (only) private extensions do not
benefit much from the transition to the new policy, apart from offering a
way to identify them more easily. The main point of the new policy was for
public modules/extensions.

In fact, the new dh_python even has a bug that lead to an incomplete
dependency in some cases for packages with private extensions. (I have
patch and I will send it to debhelper's BTS)

Raphaël Hertzog