pycentral refuses to overwrite local files

When installing a package that uses pycentral, that I had previously
installed by hand, I got an error:

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: already exists: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mutagen/__init__.py
pycentral pkginstall: already exists: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mutagen/__init__.py
dpkg: error processing python-mutagen (--install):

I think making this an error is a bad decision. File conflicts within
the packaging system should already be dealt with via dpkg. Outside of
the package system, dpkg always silently overwrites local
non-configuration files, and it's not an error normally.

This is particularly bad for Python, because the default install prefix
for local software is /usr, and there's no distutils uninstall command.
So you have to manually find and remove all the files from any
locally-installed package to switch to dpkg's version.

Unless there's a good reason for this behavior, I think this is a grave
bug for pycentral, since no other part of the packaging system creates
errors in this situation.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>