Re: Missing Provides in python-crypto and others

Adeodato Simó (dato@net.com.org.es):
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that python-crypto had undergone the new Python Policy
> transition thanks to a NMU from Matthias Klose [1]. However, I could not
> update to this version, since python2.4-paramiko Depends: python2.4-crypto,
> but the new python-crypto package does not provide it.
>
>   [1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-crypto/news/20060616T020207Z.html
>
> I thought such Provides field was mandatory under the new policy, and
> although I failed to find this requirement in the policy itself [2],
> it's set pretty straightforwardly in item #5 of the NewPolicy wiki page [3].
>
>   [2] http://people.debian.org/~piman/python-policy/python-policy.txt
>   [3] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPython/NewPolicy
>
> I prepared a python-crypto NMU to fix this, but before uploading I had a look
> at the archive and saw that several other packages seem to suffer the same,
> which made me doubt of myself having understood the issue correctly. (I'm
> attaching a list of those I found; I left out python-twisted-*, and others
> that my grep-dctrl search may have missed).
>
> Can somebody clear the issue for me? Thanks.

${python:Provides} will be filled only for arch-dep packages
(f.e for packages with python extensions - .so files)

If any external package stil depends on python2.X-foo package,
maintainer should add "python2.X-foo" to Provides: header by hand
and remove it as soon as all external packages will depend on
python-foo only

--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-