Re: Debhelper support should be ready tomorrow

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> > > - python (>= 2.3.5-7) (for pyversions script)
>
> Okay, I've updated the policy document to use that version in the Build
> Dependencies section.

Which is only really needed for extensions. Modules don't need more than
an unversioned dependency on python / python-dev.

Extensions will also need a build-dep on python-all-dev.

> > Are packages expected to call pyversions directly, or is this something that
> > should be a versioned dep from one of the other build-dependencies?
>
> Some packages will call pyversions themselves to get the available list
> of Python versions, and run each one on setup.py (see
> [🔎] 20060612111853.GC16421@ouaza.com for an example). Pure Python modules
> using python-support won't need to.

... using python-support or python-central BTW.

> > Hmm, I guess it's called by dh_python, and debhelper doesn't depend on
> > python at all.

No, pyversions is not (yet) used by dh_python. I don't need to know which
versions I'm building but which version I have built...

If we want dh_python to fail when the versions built do not match what has
been announced in XS-Python-Version, then I might start using it (but I
have perl code to do the same since it was in my first dh_python).

--
Raphaël Hertzog