Re: multiple pythons and the default

On Sun May 7 2006 01:46, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le dimanche 07 mai 2006 à 01:18 -0600, Bruce Sass a écrit :
> > With that in mind, is detecting and compiling for other interpreters still
> > much too error prone?
> >
> > - find a bin/pythonX.Y
> > - check for the expected supporting dirs
> >
> > If you can do those two things then it should be safe to assume there is a
> > pythonX.Y available, and the only difference between compiling for local
> > and packaged interpreters would be the paths.
>
> Now, please explain me *why* you'd want to install a python interpreter
> locally when all versions are available as Debian packages. I can't
> think of any reasonable use case that we'd want to support.

Isn't one of the objectives to reduce the number of Pythons in Debian,
so at some point not all versions will be available...

> Nevertheless, if you want to use the files bytecompiled for Debian's
> python2.4 with your local python2.4, you can just add python-support's
> directory to your sys.path.

...then there are patch releases which may have not made it in yet, or
versions which never will because a new interpreter will not be added to
stable.

I also think the ability to automatically integrate local interpreters
into the system would be a benefit to Python keeners and developers, who may
want to use stuff from (say) the Python SVN repository.

- Bruce