Re: Python 2.1/2.2 removal; Python 2.4 as default

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:49:52PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar writes:
> > The first freezes are already closing in fast,
>
> did I miss something? There's no update since
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/10/msg00004.html

We're roughly 16 weeks from the python freeze, including the debconf
period and the summer holiday period (for the northern hemisphere, that
is).

During these mere 16 weeks, python 2.1 & 2.2 needs to be dropped, the
default moved to 2.4, and the plan is to overhaul the python
policy/infrastructure.

We can use all of those weeks to get settled over each of those issues,
and many more that are important for the release. Having 4 (or maybe
even 5) python versions would be a release blocker, and the two oldest
ones can be removed without any serious direct consequences, and simply
would provide a better urge for people to fix up their packages. Several
people already asked for removal, sponsoring, and I noticed some
more packages simply getting fixed over the weekend. So, because there
were no objections to the python 2.1/2.2 removal, I'll be proceeding
with that.

Regarding 2.4, I'd really like to get started with it asap, and having
the policy stuff happening in parallel. Are there any objections/reasons
to *not* do so in like a week from now, starting with a simple upload of
python-defaults?

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar