Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:09:30PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:42:57PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Programs that want to use python can assume that python-minimal is
> > there (since it's Essential), and since python-minimal is never
> > installed without python also installed, they can also now assume that
> > all of python, including foobie, is there.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> The difference between "installed" ("was installed initially") and
> "installed" ("is installed now").  The compromise we struck with upstream
> was that we would not give the user a system with a "broken" Python.  If
> they create one on their own, that's their business (and they could strip it
> down themselves anyway).

Just to clarify, because I'm also confused and genuinely curious... you
guys use the minimal package during bootstrapping or something and then by
the end of the installation process you will necessarily have the full
python somehow. Is this correct?

 - David Nusinow