Re: python packaging infrastructure

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:40:09PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Josselin Mouette writes:
> > Le vendredi 13 janvier 2006 à 15:31 +0100, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> > > - beeing able to support more python versions in a separate archive
> > >   is not just aesthetic (although not needed in the distribution,
> > >   but often requested on python-dvel).
> > More python versions? You mean, a separate archive with a different
> > python version as the default?
> developers did express the need to test their application with
> different python versions. A separate archive could be used for such a
> setup. The default python version doesn't matter, as we do want to
> move away from that dependency.

I for one have a lot of old python scripts here and there (I administrate a
bunch of different old servers) and almost always a python version change
requires me to fix some scripts to the new syntax or api. I have faced these
upgrade problems for atleast 1.5 -> 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 2.3 -> 2.4. Based on this
experience I really would prefer to continue to use multiple python versions
at the same time so that I have time to audit old scripts properly.

I do not know how burdensome multiple versions are to package maintainers
but I am grateful that they have been available so far.